Monday, January 13, 2014

Pretzel Parmesan Crusted Chicken

A few days ago, I was watching a show where they were making pretzel coated chicken. It looked amazing but it was also fried. Now, even though I'm pregnant and you could probably fry anything and I'd eat it, I wanted something a little healthier (besides, I live in Atlanta and would rather spend my fried food calories on some REAL fried chicken). Last night, I came up with an alternative pretzel crusted chicken that was baked in pretzel crumbs and parmesan cheese and it worked out quite well. I had the parmesan on hand, but I'm sure you could substitute any shredded cheese in your fridge and it would be fine. I may try it with cheddar next...

Pretzel Parmesan Crusted Chicken 

- Two boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into about 2" cubes
- 1 1/2 cups of crushed pretzel crumbs - the actual amount of pretzels you'll use will vary, depending on the size (I used the small pretzel sticks)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt to taste, if using unsalted pretzels
- 1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 375. Place wire rack on a baking sheet and spray the rack with nonstick cooking spray. 

Cube chicken and set aside.

In a food processor, crush pretzels and parmesan until you have about a cup and a half. You'll have some fine crushed pieces (like breadcrumbs), and some larger chunks. Toss into a large Ziploc bag and add the garlic powder, paprika, and salt (if using).


Beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and add to the bag, about 1-2 pieces at a time. Make sure each piece is nicely coated in the crumb mixture. 

Place chicken pieces on the wire rack and bake for 30 minutes (the rack will allow them to cook evenly on top and bottom).


Serve with your choice of dipping sauce on the side. I served these with BBQ sauce to dip them in. 


Serve along with your favorite sides and that's it! I made a simple carrot/zucchini dish, marinated in herb infused olive oil and garlic, and roasted for about 25-30 minutes at 375, and rice pilaf (which was Uncle Ben's. I cheated.)


If you reheat these as leftovers, I recommend heating them in a 350 oven for about 15 minutes, or until hot. Microwaving them might make them soggy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment