Thursday, September 6, 2012

As Summer Ends...

In my previous post, by "last week" I really meant "a month and a half later." ;) I joined my family on our annual trip to Sanibel Island, FL at the end of July. We've been going since I was really little. Unfortunately, once I hit college, I wasn't able to make it a regular thing. Between summer classes and jobs, I was sometimes able to squeeze in a few days at the most (they go for a week) and there were a few years when I had to skip it entirely (and then I start to question why I never stuck with my original plan to become a theater teacher. Summer vacation in my 30s? Yes, please!). Anyway, it's a pretty relaxed week - there's not much to do on the island and we've been going there for so long that the most exciting thing to explore is a new shop that might have opened up since the previous summer. It's mostly just beach time, bike riding and making sure to enjoy fudge from their general store (yep, that's what it's called). They also have a little village that gives a glimpse into what life was like on the island from the late 1800s to the 1940s, with actual structures and items from back in the day.

Before I get to the pics, I will explain the hiatus. We are now Atlanta residents!! Long story short, my husband was offered a project up here months ago and, like everything else in the construction world, things get delayed for one reason or another. Well, I am happy to say that we are finally here and so far, so good! I'm still on the job hunt, but there is a lot of opportunity up here, so I'm confident that I will find something. My next venture is to hit up Piedmont Park and the Botanical Gardens and take some pics there. I absolutely LOVE both of those places and you bet that I'll be going nuts in about a month once the leaves start to change (we actually get all 4 seasons up here! Yay!!). In the meantime, enjoy these pics as summer comes to an end.





This is why I don't swim in lakes in Florida...











Out in Captiva (the neighboring part of the island), there is this super old cemetery from the 1800s. There are a few new gravestones from recent deaths, but the majority of them are really, really old. Some of them, you can't even read the tombstone anymore. 













This cracked me up. I have a KitchenAid mixer that I am obsessed with since I love to bake. It's come a long way since this!



No comments:

Post a Comment