Thursday, October 3, 2013

My Husband Hates Beans Bean-less Chili

I feel like that's an appropriate name for this recipe. As you know from previous posts, my husband Mike HATES beans. Which is a shame, because I love them. Not to mention, they're good for you. I have a great chili recipe and every time I make it, Mike pushes all the beans to the side and asks if I can make it bean-less. Sigh. When I think "bean-less chili" I think of a big bowl of meat. So, out of the kindness of my heart, I altered the recipe and added in some extra veggies to sub for the beans. It was actually pretty good and best of all, Mike-approved :)

Mike's Bean-less Chili

- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs of lean, ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 28 oz can of tomato puree
- 6 to 8 oz ale or lager style beer
- Salt and pepper to taste

Chop all vegetables. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, zucchini, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and salt to taste. Cook about 7-8 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened. Stir in the garlic.
These were a good hearty option to replace the beans. Carrots and corn would work too!

Increase the heat to medium-high and add the beef. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato puree, and beer. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 45 minutes.

Remove cover and cook for another 35 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

* If you don't want to use the beer, do not drain the diced tomatoes. You can use the juice from that instead.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment