Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Vegas, baby!

This past weekend, we went down to Tampa for my friend Vermille's baby shower. She's due in late March and she's having a boy. Her and her husband, Ryan, have a love for Las Vegas. They (secretly!) got married there back in 2010, they have a dog named Priscilla, after Elvis's wife (Priscilla also happens to be Penny Lane's BFF), and now that they are pregnant, they don't have a name for the baby yet, so he's nicknamed "Elvis." Well, it only seemed appropriate to have a "Vegas" themed baby shower. However, when I was asked to do the decorations, that posed quite the challenge being that there aren't too many baby things that scream "Vegas!" So, thanks to an unnecessary amount of poker cards and chips that my husband had stashed away, I was able to come up with some cute stuff.

This is the wreath I made for the front door. Everything was tied with ribbon and not glue, so the diapers can be used when taken off. I also decorated it with baby socks and washcloths tied with tulle.


I took some poker cards and chips, glued them together and sprayed them with blue and silver glitter (there was a ribbon I laced through the chips to tie it to the wreath).

I absolutely LOVE the way these came out! Not that I'm bragging, but I totally love them. They were really easy to do, too. I rolled up pairs of baby socks and washcloths and tied them with ribbon. I had a bunch of plain wooden sticks that I painted with green paint, added some green tulle to be the "leaves," and then stuck the sticks through little openings on the socks and washcloths. I already had a plethora of beads from our Gasparilla bead stash, so those served as the "water" for the vase. 



I had some leftover diapers and baby blankets, so I made little chip buckets. We tied balloons to these at the shower and it looked really cute.

I rolled up the remaining diapers and tied them with a large rubber band. I wrapped the blanket around them and tied them with blue tulle. Then, I put some poker chips on top (sprayed with glitter spray, of course) to look like the bucket was full, and put cards around them.

Finally, I had Ryan send me baby pics of the two of them. I took four 5x7 black frames and sprinkled two with blue glitter and two with silver glitter spray to place on the main tables.

Also not pictured, were the blackjack and craps boards that also came from a set that my husband had (and rarely ever used). We were able to put those on the table and put platters on top of them. We also spread poker cards and chips on the tables to add some extra "Vegas" flair and of course, we hung old Elvis records up behind the food table. Pics of those will be coming soon - one of the other girls does photography as a hobby like me and was the official "photographer" of the shower. As soon as those are posted, I'll share them. One more baby shower down, one more to go in April! 

No comments:

Post a Comment